On the road to healthy eating without missing delicious Filipino Foods like Kare-Kare. I used chicken breast with generous amount of spinach in this recipe. One good thing about chicken kare-kare, it is so easy to cook. In a matter of 30-40 minutes, food is ready to serve.
750 kilograms chicken breast, cubed
400 millilitre of water
4 cloves Garlic - minced
1 medium sized onion, chopped
250 grams long beans (sitaw), cut into about 2 inches long
200 grams spinach
1 tbsp annatto powder (atsuete), dissolved in warm water
8 tablespoons peanut butter (preferably smooth)
2 tbsp rapeseed oil (you can use your preferred cooking oil)
- In a large skillet, put 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil and cook the chicken breast until tender (approximately 8-10 minutes). Set aside.
- Put the rest of the oil and sauté garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes. Then add in the long beans and aubergine. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and water. Stir-in the peanut butter and the dissolved annatto powder. Set the heat on low and simmer again for another 5 minutes.
- Add the toasted ground rice and stir until it is well mix. You can use kare-kare mix as alternative but you may need to adjust the amount of peanut butter according to your taste. Simmer for another 2-4 minutes.
- Finally, put the spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with boiled rice and shrimp paste.