One of many things I missed back home is the availability of good food any time. When I said anytime, I mean even on 12 midnight. Oh yeah, small restaurants that we called carinderia (eatery) are open 24 hours a day. They can really make my tummy happy always.
These eateries normally serve foods like congee (lugaw) and rice combos such as ToSiLog, LongSiLog, CornSiLog, TapSiLog and the menu continues. The rice combo meals compose of meat of your choice, fried rice (sinangag) and fried egg (itlog). That is where the names came from.
I am a big fan of these dishes so imagine my dismay waking up late and wanting to have them but no eatery around to serve me those. Well, I'm far away from home but I can keep some in my fridge for rainy days. There is a solution for every craving.
Prep: 12 - 24 hours
½ kilograms sirloin beef (thinly sliced)
4 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
4 tbsp white sugar
1 whole lemon (squeezed)
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, salt, ground black pepper, white sugar and lemon juice.
- Slice the beef thinly and put in a container with lid.
- Pour the pre-mixed seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Put in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- After marinating for the 24 hours, the tapa is now ready for frying.
Recipe by : Luto ni Nanay (Mom’s Cuisine)