|Photo Courtesy of Guanaco|
It is very common in one household to spend more than the budget. Planning is important prior to shopping.
- Plan meals a week at a time and limit shopping trips to once or twice a week.
- List down all items you need to buy in supermarkets or shops. Stick with your list and you'll be surprise to see your pocket with extra money.
- Never ever shop when hungry. You will surely be tempted to buy unnecessary goodies.
- Another thing to consider is time, shop when you don't need to rush. If possible, shop without children.
- Keep a constant shopping list, and add items as soon as they run low. In this case, you will save on urgent trips to shops just to buy single item.
- If possible, buy the exact package or size needed for your recipe. It's not nice to see your cupboard and refrigerator with leftovers or unwanted items. Always, try small portion when trying new food, in that case, if you don't like it, you will lose less.
- Use shop coupons and money off offers only when you buy the product.
- Watch out for hidden costs once you prefer to have your food delivered.
- Keep a record of the costs of items you usually buy. In such way, you can tell which items really are on sale. If canned good you normally use go on sale, feel free to stock up. But don't forget to check the expiration date.
- If unit pricing is on hand, use it to match up brands and sizes. But always bear in my mind, quality should be considered.